Enjoy an awesome mix of city, mountains, and rural coffee country on this custom, private trekking tour that you can start any day of the year. The trek has a number of days at over 12,460 feet (3,800 meters) above sea level so we would consider it physically challenging (similar to the Inca Trail). Walking can be adapted, however, to suit a traveler's needs and pace; that is, the distance and inclinations can be increased or decreased in difficulty based on a traveler's needs. Your baggage, food, and equipment will be carried by mules for the duration of the trek; you need only carry your daypack. A logistics manager, chef, and trek leader make up the trek team with additional helpers depending on group size. Camps will be made ready for when you arrive and the trek has been designed so you typically arrive for lunch, with the rest of the afternoon to relax and take part in further activities like optional day hikes. 3-season Marmot tents, warm 0ºF Marmot sleeping bags, Thermarests, and sleeping bag liners are all provided for you along with lighting and a toilet tent. Depending on a given location, food may be served either in a support structure or a mess tent. All meals on trek are included, plus meals in remote locations, such as the flora and fauna sanctuary of Otun-Quimbaya.
For your city stays, you'll stay in refined 3-star hotels with excellent service and ratings in both Bogotá and Cartagena. These can easily be changed for 5-star options on request. In the cities, most meals are up to you, since there are so many choices to pick from, but we will help with transportation if necessary, so you can experience some fabulous local dining.
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Arrive Bogota, transfer, and overnight
- DAY 2: Free morning in Bogotá, travel to Salento (Coffee region)
- DAY 3: Optional tours around beautiful Salento
- DAY 4: Trekking
- DAY 5: Trekking
- DAY 6: Trekking
- DAY 7: Finish trek, optional wildlife sanctuary visit, overnight Pereira
- DAY 8: Transfer to airport, depart
- Mountain trekking in up-and-coming Colombia
- See the best of burgeoning Bogotá
- Enjoy time in the heart of coffee culture
- Option to extend to Cartagena if time and interest allow
LOCATIONS: Los Nevados