The legendary Inca Trail takes you through the diverse wilderness of the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary, passing numerous Inca ruins on the magnificent stone highway before descending to the famed citadel of Machu Picchu. It starts in Cusco or Ollantaytambo and returns to Cusco with an overnight at a hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- Set departures are on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Minimum two people.
- Groups are limited to 12 people, but most groups are smaller than that.
Book a set departure 6 months in advance and save $50/person!
Season: All year, except February, when the Inca Trail is closed; best season for trekking is April through October. Note that you may start your trek on any day of the week for a private trek.
Groups to Join in 2013
If you are a single traveler or a small group that wants to join others, we have a number of groups that you can join. Permits may be sold out for some of departures so it is best to contact us for availability. Currently, there is a 2013 group for December 8th. Several groups are available for 2014.
GUIDED GROUP WITH JOE KOEHLY FOR 2014
Backwoods Adventures is offering a guided group to Peru, with the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu for May 10-20, 2014. Join Joe Koehly and a small group for an amazing adventure! Extensions to Lake Titicaca and the Galapagos are available, as well as other side trips. Contact us for more information >>
MAD NOW! INCA TRAIL FUNDRAISER FOR 2014
Make a Dffference Now is planning their second annual fundraiser with the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu for August 6-14, 2014. This is an excellent opportunity to help MAD Now and to have an awesome trek! Options are available to extend your visit. Contact us for more information >>
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Cusco to km 82 by vehicle; hike to Llaqtapata Camp
- DAY 2: Hike Llaqtapata to Llulluchapampa Camp
- DAY 3: Hike Llulluchapampa to Phuyupatamarca Camp
- DAY 4: Hike Phuyupatamarca to Machu Picchu via Winay Wayna and Intipunku
- DAY 5: Full day tour and visit to Machu Picchu; afternoon return to Cusco
- The Legendary Inca Trail
- High altitude camping in the scenic Andes
- Inca Ruins en route
- Machu Picchu
LOCATIONS: Cusco, Machu Picchu
ACTIVITIES: Mountain Trekking