Custom Itineraries * Private Tours * Join a Group * Great Value * Luxury to Mid-Range * Families

Tibet: Visas

All this information is for informational purposes only as requirements change often. All travelers should check to see if entry requirements and fees have changed.


The Tibet Travel Permit will be handled for you as they can only be issued in Nepal or China.

If you are traveling through Nepal, you will need at least 24 hours in Kathmandu to get your permit. More information on your Nepal visa >>

If you are traveling through China to get to Tibet, you will also need to get a Chinese visa ahead of time. You must spend the night in Chengdu or other city in China. Your Tibet Travel Permit will be delivered to there.

If entering Tibet from Nepal, the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu will require minimum of 4 working days to issue the visa for these countries (all others require 1 day):

1.    Austria
2.    Belgium
3.    Czech
4.    Denmark
5.    Estonia
6.    Finland
7.    Germany
8.    Greece
9.    Iceland
10.  Luxemburg
11.  Holland
12.  Norway
13.  Portugal
14.  Spain
15.  Sweden
16.  Switzerland
17.  France


The Chinese visa must be acquired before arrival if you are flying through a Chinese city that is not Lhasa. The Chinese visa is currently $198/person for U.S. nationals and $114/person for other nationals.

You either need to apply for your visa at a Chinese visa consulate in person, or you need to use a visa service (you cannot mail in for a visa).

You will need to send in the following to apply for your Chinese visa:

  • Passport – must be valid for at least 6 months after your trip and must have at least 2 blank pages (remember you may need more blank pages if you are going to Nepal or Bhutan or elsewhere).
  • Chinese visa application form – do not mention Tibet or Hong Kong on your application form or it will be denied.  You must list your hotel and contact information. 
  • Flight itinerary – must show flight into Chengdu, no exit flight is necessary.
  • Hotel confirmation – we will send you this for your hotel in Chengdu.
  • One passport size photo -- 2” x 2” on white background.
  • Visa service application form
  • Photocopies of all documents – keep on file.

Unless you are requesting rush service, allow 7 business days for processing, which does not include shipping time.  We recommend that you send your visa application by Fed Ex or certified mail to protect your passport.

Need Help with your Passport and Visa?

U.S. and Canadian citizens can use Travisa, a fast and easy way to help speed up the process of obtaining your passport and visa.

AWR Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth
National Geographic Traveler