An Emperor Penguin rookery is situated south of Snow Hill Island. The captain of the vessel will do his utmost to position the vessel close enough to Snow Hill Island in order to enable us to offer ship-to-shore helicopter transfers to approx. 45 minutes walking distance from the Emperor Penguin Rookeries. If we succeed, this will be a fascinating and a once-in-a lifetime experience.
During this voyage, we will reserve three days to visit the Emperor Rookeries by helicopters. If we succeed the first two days, we may decide to offer an alternative landing in the Weddell Sea on the third day, such as Paulet Island where we can visit a fantastic Adelie penguin colony with approximately 1 million breeding pairs.
- November 5 - 25, 2017 (Ortelius) (11 days)
- January 10 - January 21, 2018 (Ushuaia) (11 days)
*** NOTE: All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises.
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Embark from Ushuaia
- DAY 2: Sailing the Drake's Passage / At Sea
- DAY 3: Sailing the Drake's Passage / At Sea
- DAY 4: Enter Weddell Sea if accessible
- DAY 5: Weddell Sea - Helicopters to Emperor Penguins
- DAY 6: Weddell Sea - Helicopters to Emperor Penguins
- DAY 7: Weddell Sea - Devil Island, Vega Island, or Hope Bay
- DAY 8: Explore Antarctica
- DAY 9: Sailing the Drake's Passage / At Sea
- DAY 10: Sailing the Drake's Passage / At Sea
- DAY 11: Disembark in Ushuaia
- Visit the Emperor Penguin rookery
- Helicopters in Antarctica
ACTIVITIES: Expedition Cruising