On this special trip, we travel to see and experience an unforgettable cross-section of this enchanting country. We start in Bogota, with its bustling, creative energy, then travel to San Agustin Archeological Park, a UNESCO world heritage archeological site, considered one of the top two such sites in Colombia, a wildly diverse country bordering Peru, home to famous Machu Picchu.
UNESCO states that the San Agustin Archeological Park boasts "the largest group of religious monuments and megalithic sculptures in South America (and) stands in a wild, spectacular landscape. Gods and mythical animals are skillfully represented in styles ranging from abstract to realist. These works of art display the creativity and imagination of a northern Andean culture that flourished from the 1st to the 8th century." San Agustin should be on anyone's radar who dreams of Easter Island, Machu Picchu, and the like.
From San Agustin, we continue to the living spiritual pilgrimage town of Popayan, then onto the scenic, authentic heart of coffee country in Armenia. Fom here, we end the trip in amazing Cartagena, the crown jewel of colonial cities in Latin America.
You can start this tour any day of the year. It makes an ideal Saturday to Sunday trip. The dry season in the interior, traditionally, runs from December through March, then again in July and August. While it rains other times of year, people still travel and have a wonderful time. In the rainy season, prepare for short but powerful rains in Cartegena but largely skies are clear. The country is equatorial, so temperatures remain static throughout the year for the most part, with the main fluctuations caused by altitude. Only in the thick, jungle rain forests of the Colombian Amazon does rain really become profound. Our advice: the times to truly avoid travel in Colombia are Christmas-New years and Easter Week. This is because native Colombians love to travel in their country and tourist numbers peak at famous sites, parks, hotels, cities, etc. and it is better to avoid that level of crowding.
You can easily add days to the trip, for example, in Armenia, with its hot springs, parks, and more to explore, or Cartagena, for those who are interested in scuba, photography, and nightlife.
Itinerary in Brief
- DAY 1: Arrive in Bogota
- DAY 2: Bogota city tour, then travel to San Agustin Archeological Park
- DAY 3: Visit archaeological sights in San Agustin Archeological Park & surroundings
- DAY 4: Travel from San Agustin Archeological Park to Popayan / afternoon walking tour
- DAY 5: Hike in PuracÚ Volcano National Park
- DAY 6: Full day leisure drive to the coffee heartland
- DAY 7: Free day in coffee country
- DAY 8: Transfer to airport, depart for Cartagena
- DAY 9: Depart Cartagena
- Experience all the buzz around Bogota, a leading city of Latin America
- Encounter prized artifacts of ancient civilizations in San Augustin
- Hike in a unique national park
- See the sacred living pilgrimage site of Popayan
- See the heart of coffee culture in Colombia
- Visit Latin America's crown jewel of colonial cities, Cartagena on the Caribbean coast
LOCATIONS: Bogata, San Augustin, Popayan, Cartagena