Southern Africa Visa

The information above is for informational purposes only. All travelers should check to see if entry requirements and fees have changed.

South Africa

No visa is required for U.S., EU, Canadian, New Zealand, and Australian citizens for a stay of less than 90 days. You will be issued with a 3 month multiple entry stamp upon entry into South Africa.

Please note that anyone travelling to South Africa must have two or more consecutive blank pages open in their passports. Passports must also be valid for at least six months after departure.

Passengers travelling to South Africa with passports which do not comply with these requirements, will either be stopped from boarding the aircraft or risk deportation on arrival in South Africa.

Travelers entering South Africa from countries where yellow fever is endemic are often required to present their yellow World Health Organization (WHO) vaccination record or other proof of inoculation. This requirement may be imposed on travelers flying to South Africa via yellow fever countries, even when transiting passengers are required to stay on board the plane (e.g., South African Airways flights stopping in Dakar, Senegal).

Children Traveling to South Africa

As of 01 June 2015 South Africa’s new immigration regulations for passengers travelling with minors will come into effect. Under the new law, all minors (children under the age of 18 years) will be required to produce, in addition to their passport, an Unabridged Birth Certificate (showing the particulars of both parents) when exiting and entering South African ports of entry.

Children travelling with only one parent

When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than 3 months old from date of travel.

Children travelling without either parent

In the case of a child travelling with a person other than a parent, the Unabridged Birth Certificate must be supplemented by affidavits from the parents or legal guardians confirming that the child may travel with that person, copies of the Identity document or passports of the parents or legal guardian, and the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.


Namibia visas are to be paid directly at immigrations in US Dollars cash. You need at least 2 empty passport pages.

  • Single Entry – USD 50.00 per person
  • Double Entry – USD 80.00 per person
  • Multiple Entry – USD 160.00 per person


No visa is required for US citizens for a stay of less than 90 days (must have 2 empty passport pages). You will be issued with a 3 month multiple entry stamp upon entry into Botswana.

Tourism Development Levy

As of June 1, 2017, Botswana is charging a $30 Tourism Development Levy to all visitors with the exception of residents and citizens of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member states. The Levy is payable at all ports of entry, including airports and border posts.

Payments are made at the ports of entry through electronic payment machines which accept cash (US Dollars) and credit cards. After the payment is made, a unique receipt corresponding to the traveller’s passport will be automatically generated. The receipt should then be presented to Immigration Officials along with the passport. Both the receipt and the passport will be stamped and handed back to the traveller. The receipt needs to be kept and surrendered to the relevant immigration officials when the traveller departs Botswana.
The receipt will be valid for a 30 day period and can be used for multiple entry.

Children Traveling to Botswana

Effective October 1, 2016, minors will be required to produce certified copies of an unabridged birth certificates with their passports. In the event the child is traveling with only one parent, the child must have an affidavit from the other parent consenting to the travel. These requirements are similar to South Africa’s requirements for travel by minors.

Botswana Embassy >>


A passport and visa are required to enter Zambia (LVI). The passport must be valid for at least six months after the intended date of departure from Zambia. A single-entry visa only may be obtained upon arrival for $50. Travelers must apply in advance at a Zambian Embassy or consulate for a multiple-entry visa. The fee for a three-year multiple-entry visa is $80. Tourists visiting for the day from a neighboring country (such as those visiting Victoria Falls from Zimbabwe) can obtain a $20 day-trip visa at the border.

As of January 31, 2015, a yellow fever certificate is NOT required to enter Zambia from South Africa.


A passport, visa, return ticket, and adequate funds are required to enter Zimbabwe (VFA). U.S. citizens traveling to Zimbabwe for tourism, business, or transit can obtain a visa at the airports and border ports-of-entry, or in advance by contacting the Embassy of Zimbabwe. U.S. citizens entering Zimbabwe for tourism can expect to pay $30 for a single-entry (must be U.S. cash!), 30-day duration of stay visa upon entering the country. Visitors are required to declare the amount of currency that they are bringing into and out of the country. ATM’s can be hard to find and credit cards rarely accepted outside of major hotels so it’s best to carry enough cash to see you through your stay.

Need Help with your Passport and Visa?

To obtain the most current entry requirements for your upcoming trip, please contact CIBTvisas or call CIBT at 800-577-2428.  Be sure to reference CIBT Account 55520 for reduced CIBT service fees.

Adventures Within Reach. Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved