In Peru, the weather vary according to the region:
- In the coast, the winter reaches a temperature average of 14°C. In summer the temperatures are superior to the 28°C.
- At the Peruvian mountains, the sun shines all year long, but the temperature descends during the nights till reach a temperature average of 5°C. In the jungle area the weather is tropical.
- In the mountains as in the jungle, the rain season starts in December and finishes in April.
Peru has two well differentiated seasons: dry and humid, terms that according to the geographical characteristics of the country are more pertinent than winter and summer. The best season to visit Peru is between May and September that are dry.
The weather in:
- Cusco has a temperate climate with year round temperatures fluctuating between 14º – 16ºC, with warm days and cold nights. The rainy season in Cusco is from December to March .
- Machu Picchu has a semi-tropical climate, with warm and humid days and cold nights. The rainy season in Machu Picchu is from November to March, so be prepared. The wet months are January to April, when roads are often closed by landslides or flooding. The best months for visiting Machu Picchu are from April to October.
- Use boots during treks and sneakers during long walks.
- Drinking lots of liquids on long excursions, specially during the Inca Trail
- Always take an umbrella or rainwear.
Monthly Averages (Cusco)