So you have decided to go on your next adventure! Here’s a list of what to do next.
6 Months Or More Prior to Departure
- Reserve your trip with Adventures Within Reach
- Make flight reservations
- Check medical insurance regarding foreign travel coverage and purchase travel insurance
- Obtain or update passport
- See your physician regarding physical exam, immunizations, training schedule, travel and high altitude advice, and medications
- Begin physical fitness training
- “Like” Adventures Within Reach on Facebook, and tell everyone about your trip!
- Get excited!
3 Months Prior to Departure
- Review the packing list and buy necessary clothing and equipment — don’t wait until the last minute!
- Double-check your passport. It needs to be valid 6 months past your trip, and you need at least 2 blank pages per country visited.
- Obtain all necessary visas.
- Check your camera and video equipment. Prepare to upgrade or buy more disks or batteries.
- Continue physical fitness training.
2 Months Prior to Departure
- Make final payment to Adventures Within Reach.
- Inform Adventures Within Reach of rental equipment needed, dietary restrictions, and medical conditions.
- Learn to speak a few phrases of the local language.
- Buy a book on your destination.
1 Month Prior to Departure
- Make copies of drivers license, birth certificate, passport, visa, health insurance card, vaccination card, plane tickets, credit cards, travelers cheques. Give one copy to someone at home, and put one copy in your luggage separate for the original items.
- Create a travel folder with
- Reservation Confirmation
- All Flight Documents
- Emergency Contacts
- Vaccination Records (if necessary)
- Trekking Packing List (if necessary)
- Travel Insurance Info
- Obtain cash and travelers checks.
- Stop mail, newspapers, deliveries.
- Prepay bills.
- Arrange for care of pets, lawn, and plants (or arrange for house sitting).
1 day prior to or day of departure
- Advise bank of foreign credit card use.
- Advise home alarm company of absence.
- Put lights on timer.
- Empty refrigerator.
- Store valuables in safe place.
- Reconfirm/check-in for international flights.
- Turn down heat/air conditioning/water heater.
- Unplug electrical appliances.
- Lock all doors and windows, leave key with neighbor.
Begin the adventure of a lifetime!
- Fill out AWR trip evaluation form.
- Post pictures on AWR Facebook page.
- Tell all your friends what great time you had!
- Book your next trip!