The information above is for informational purposes only. All travelers should check to see if entry requirements and fees have changed.
Who needs a visa?
The “visa” is just a big stamp in your passport. Everyone needs a visa for Tanzania except
“NATIONALS OF THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES DO NOT REQUIRE VISAS WHEN INTENDED STAY DOES NOT EXCEED THREE MONTHS: NAMIBIA, ROMANIA, RWANDA, HONG KONG AND COMMONWEALTH MEMBER STATES EXCEPT UNITED KINGDOM, CANADA, NIGERIA, INDIA AND SOUTH AFRICA .”
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travelers over 1 year of age arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. See World Health Organization International travel and health webpage for disease distribution maps listing countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.
How to get a visa?
YOUR PASSPORT MUST BE VALID FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS AFTER YOUR ARRIVAL DATE IN TANZANIA!! Otherwise, they will not even let you on the airplane!
It is possible to get your visa at the border going into Tanzania or at the Kilimanjaro or Dar es Salaam airports when you arrive. Allow extra time for this process. You will need US$100 cash if you are a U.S. citizen or US$50 cash for all other nationals.
Alternatively, you can get your visa ahead of time.
U.S. Citizens get the visa application from the
- U.S. Tanzania Embassy website
- Or call them in Washington D.C. at 202-939-6125, and ask for a visa application.
Other nationalities, check for the nearest embassy:
Each traveler will need to send
- Completed visa application
- Valid passport (at least 6 months before expiration)
- Two passport-size photos
- $100/person for U.S. passports or $50/person for other nationalities
- Prepaid return envelope addressed to yourself (multiple applications can be sent together)
- Proof of travel plans (our Reservation Confirmation is sufficient)
Payment can be made by money order, credit card ($2 processing fee), personal check (include a copy of your drivers license and add a $2 processing fee).
Allow at least 30 days for processing. You might want to consider sending it certified mail or Federal Express both directions to ensure the safety of your passport.
|View Sample Visa Application|
Information for your visa application
Contact Person in Tanzania
- Mark Donnelly
Tanzania Journeys Ltd
Tel: +255 27 2754295
Proof of sufficient funds while in Tanzania
- Copy of your reservation confirmation (okay if not paid in full yet)
Need Help with your Passport and Visa?
If you are going through Kenya, you will need a separate Kenya visa. You can get your Kenya visa at the Nairobi Airport or at the border crossing from Tanzania.