Tanzania is a great safari destination for families! Except for the rainy months of April and May, the weather is pretty good all year long. It is easy to see the animals in the national parks, yet it is a very authentic experience. There are cultural opportunities such as visiting a Maasai tribe and a local school. Families can finish their trip with some relaxing time on the soft, white, sandy beaches of Zanzibar Island.
Here are some tips to planning the perfect family safari in Tanzania.
- Pick the right guides — We use great guides who are amazing with kids.
- Spend more time in fewer places — Better to enjoy a few high-quality locations to reduce travel time.
- Swimming pools — These offer a nice diversion between game drives, and they sure feel good after being hot and dusty.
- Mix of activities — There is more to do on safari than game drives. Options include meeting local people, trying out a bow and arrow, hiking, hot air balloon safaris, and much more.
- Money can buy happiness — If you have the budget for it, luxury accommodations have programs designed for kids. They are also more exclusive and can cater to your family’s needs. Flying between the parks will also cut down on long drives.
There are many lodges and tented camps that offer swimming pools, hiking, evening entertainment, and other activities. These accommodations are great examples:
A budget lodge with a fun swimming pool complete with elephant sculpture. They have family rooms, BBQ dinner outside some nights, and a pool table.
Have swimming pools, evening entertainment, pool tables, and other diversions.
Offers lots of activities like feeding the bushbabies, milking cows, hiking to the elephant caves, and has huge rooms in just a beautiful location.
A great permanent tented camp option with programs designed just for kids.
Located just outside the park, so families can visit an authentic Maasai village, go hiking, and other great activities.