Andrea Tello, one of our South American travel specialists, spent 4 days in the Peruvian Amazon at Hacienda Concepción, one of Inkaterra’s finest properties in the Amazon, near Puerto Maldonado. These are a few interesting facts about this amazing experience!
- A 35-minute flight from Cusco and 25-minute boat ride along the Madre de Dios River, take you to this wonderful lodge in the middle of the Amazon jungle.
- Upon arrival, all travelers are transferred from the airport to Inkaterra’s Butterfly House –a welcome and information center with internet access, cold drinks and an introduction to the amazing world of butterflies.
- Be prepared to wait for all travelers in your group to arrive, since there are several flights to Puerto Maldonado (from Lima and/or Cusco). Once everybody has arrived at the Butterfly House, you will be driven to the pier and take the boat to Hacienda Concepción.
- The boat ride to Hacienda Concepción is only 25 minutes in a nice, clean and stable boat for approximately 30 people.
- Upon arrival, you will be given a briefing on the excursions and facilities of the lodge, followed by a delicious buffet lunch.
- Please, note that excursions are almost back-to-back. The first excursion starts after lunch and there’s another one before dinner. The next day you will have to be ready at 6am.
- If you are staying 4 days, ask for a special “beach day“. You can have a boat to yourself, with a waiter, snacks, drinks, your guide and the boat driver. Do this the afternoon of day 3. You sail to a wonderful beach in the Madre de Dios River (15 minutes from the lodge) and swim in the river, sunbathe, have drinks, and then sail to a great sunset spot! It is $75 per person extra, drinks included.
- Happy hour is between 6pm and 7pm daily. Excursions before dinner start around 6.30pm, so you might have to skip that cocktail.
- Their food is awesome! You will be in a “full board” program: buffet breakfast, delicious lunch and à la carte dinner with 2 options – always a vegetarian one. Make sure you let us know your diet/medical restrictions.
- There are 8 rooms in the main lodge and 16 Cabañas surrounding the lodge. Triple rooms can be offered only in the Cabañas, but not the rooms. There is plenty of space for an additional bed in the Cabañas – they have a little living room/lounge area, with a nice sofa and a hammock next to a big window that makes you feel you are in the middle of the jungle…and you are!
- There is no power from 3pm to 5:30pm and from 11pm to 4:30am. During this time, fans won’t work. This is not a huge problem since you will be in an excursion between 3pm and 5.30pm and everybody is in bed by 10pm. During Peruvian winter (June, July, August), it gets quite cool at night, so you might even use the fleece blanket they provide. During rainy season (summer), it is hot day and night and rains pretty much 24/7. Better to go in the winter….
- There is very limited Internet and mobile access in the lodge. These only work in some spots and will take a long time to connect. Tip: The closer you are to the river, the better mobile connection.
- You will be provided flashlights and insect repellent. We suggest bringing a headlamp too.
- Rent binoculars or bring yours.
- You won’t be asked for your vaccinations certificate upon arrival. However, please follow this link to find out more about vaccinations for this trip: