This post is the third installment of the Adventures Within Reach “Trek a Month South America” overview highlighting our favorite treks each month to help you pick a great adventure for your travel dates. We’ll write 1 more post, with the last 3 months of the year with the best treks for those times of year.
Near Salvador we find the most important trekking spot in Brazil: Chapada Diamantina. Large quantities of rivers are born in this spectacular region, forming over the years, beautiful streams, bubbling waterfalls and clear, natural pools. Some natural attractions include the Cachoeira da Fumaca, with its free fall of 380 meters, or the dazzling cave, Poco Encantado. Throughout the trek, the marvelous natural landscape will continue to surprise and amaze.
PRICE: $1095 per person (private based on 2 people)
The name of this park makes reference to the immense dunes that look like a bed sheet (lencois) spread across the land. Near Sao Luis, this park is divided into Grandes Lencois and Pequenos Lencois, separated by Rio Preguicas. The zone contains beaches, mangrove swamps, lagoons and dunes, and it was declared a National Park in 1981. This experience takes us across the shifting dunes of fine white sand and crystal clear blue lagoons that seem to glow under the sunshine or the moonlight; a true spectacle for our eyes.
- This trip can be made throughout the year. Between January and April the weather is unstable, from May to September is the period when lagoons are fuller, and from October to December is the dry season when it’s windier and there is less tourism.
- The period of June and July are the celebrations of Sao Joao in the region, there is less accommodation availability, but there are many folk festivals on the weekends.
PRICE: $985 per person (private based on 2 people)
SEPTEMBER: 5-Day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
The legendary Inca Trail takes you through the diverse wilderness of the Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary, passing numerous Inca ruins on the magnificent stone highway before descending to the famed citadel of Machu Picchu. It starts in Cusco or Ollantaytambo and returns to Cusco with an overnight at a hotel in Aguas Calientes.
- Set departures are on Sundays and Wednesdays.
- Minimum two people.
- Groups are limited to 12 people, but most groups are smaller than that.
- Season: All year, except February, when the Inca Trail is closed; best season for trekking is April through October. Note that you may start your trek on any day of the week for a private trek. Check with us for availability! Now is the time to book your trek for 2018! Permits for 2018 go on sale in October 2017.
Groups to Join:
If you are a single traveler or a small group that wants to join others, we have a number of groups that you can join. Permits may be sold out for some of departures so it is best to contact us for availability. We can help with an alternative trek, that is just as challenging as the Inca Trail and gets you to Machu Picchu!
PRICE: $1235 per person (group departure, budget accommodations)
Want to join one of these treks? Have questions? Contact us!
Your friendly South America expert,