Happy Carnaval! 2018 Carnaval in Brazil is happening now!
We thought we would share in the festivities by giving our readers a way to partake in the festivities right from home. This year for Carnaval, try your hand at making the national Brazilian drink: uma caipirinha!
According to historians, the caipirinha, as it is known nowadays, was invented by landowning farmers in the region of Piracicaba, interior of the State of São Paulo, during the 19th century, as a local drink for high standard events and parties, being a reflection of the strong sugar cane culture in the region.
The caipirinha is the strongest national cocktail of Brazil and is imbibed in restaurants, bars, and many households throughout the country. Once almost unknown outside Brazil, the drink has become more popular and more widely available in recent years, in large part due to the rising availability of first-rate brands of cachaça outside Brazil.
How to make a Caipirinha:
Ingredients for a traditional caipirinha (there are many variations but you can never go wrong with the classic!):
- 2-4 lime wedges (to taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup of crushed or cubed ice
- 5-2.5 oz. of cachaça (to taste)
1) Cut your limes into wedges and put them in the bottom of a stout whiskey glass.
2) Add the sugar on top of the limes in the glass and muddle together
3) Add the ice on top (crushed ice is best but cubes will work fine as well) and fill glass just below the brim with ice
4) Add the cachaca
5) Stir and enjoy
As they say in Brazil, Saude! Cheers!
Happy Carnaval everyone!
Want to book your next Brazil adventure? Check out some of these incredible journeys:
- 13-Day Best of Brazil Group Departures
- 9-Day Sao Paulo, Paraty and Rio de Janeiro
- 7-Day In the Footsteps of the Elusive Jaguar
- 4-Day Hidden Pools and Dunes of Lencois Maranhenses
- 4-Day Amazon Immersion: Jungle Adventure
Don’t see what you want? Got questions? Contact us!
Your friendly Brazil expert,