Today is a day hike to a beautiful turquoise lake at 13,845ft/4,221mt — Humantay Lake.
- 6am breakfast
- 7am start to beat the crowds from Cusco
- Meet at 7 AM, start at 7:15 AM
- 1.75 miles up and 2 miles down
- 30 minutes at the lake
- Shaman experience at lake
- 1700 ft vertical in 2 miles, 1.5 hours down
- Back to the lodge for lunch
- Afternoon free
For this hike, you go up one trail and down another so we don’t run into people. It is a spectacular turquoise lake, but no swimming.
Everyone was wearing hiking pants, long sleeve shirt, and gloves, but it warmed up quickly in the sun, so everyone was overdressed and peeled off clothes early.
It starts with a gentle uphill on a dirt path. After 1 hour, the trail turns right up the side of the hill and is steeper.
Once at the lake, you can hike around the shoreline or up to a viewpoint where the elevation is almost 14,000 ft.
At 10, hike up left side to Shaman ritual 1 hour.
On the way down, it turned cold and sometimes rainy, so everyone was back in a warm jacket plus hat, gloves, and rain jacket.
In the evening, the Shaman returns for a ceremony around the campfire to bless the upcoming trek.
- Eggs made to order with bacon
- Fruit, yogurt
- Cold cuts and cheese and olives
- Coffee, tea, juice
Snacks for hike:
- Nuts, dried fruit, filtered water for water bottles
- Chicken and a red pepper sauce with
- Rice and potatoes
- Dessert of fruit pudding
- Starter of quinoa tabbouleh salad
- Breaded trout
- Chunks of vegetables (carrots and zucchini and potatoes)
- Chocolate mousse
More on the Luxury Lodge Trek: