Patagonia, the vast, rugged landscape of southern Argentina and Chile, takes up roughly 1 million square kilometers. That said, it can be tricky, when planning a trip to Patagonia, to link several of the must-see destinations in one fluid trip.
Two of the most famous areas in Argentine Patagonia are: El Chalten/El Calafate and Peninsula Valdes. As the bird flies, the distance between Trelew (airport for Peninsula Valdes) and El Calafate (airport for El Calafate and El Chalten) is ~950 km. There are two primary ways of getting between these destinations:
- The bus
There are no direct flights from El Calafate to Trelew. The fastest option is flying from El Calafate to Buenos Aires (Jorge Newberry Domestic airport) and from Buenos Aires to Trelew. The total travel time for this option is around 6 hour and 25 mins. Flights cost between $310-$500 USD. This flight is only on Sunday and departs El Calafate at 7:55 AM and arrives in Trelew at 14:20 (2:20 PM). Some travelers prefer not to go through Buenos Aires and opt for a flight from El Calafate to Ushuaia and from Ushuaia to Trelew. The total travel time for this route is 7 hours 30 mins. Flights cost between $310-$500 USD. This flight offered every day except Wednesdays and Saturdays. The flight departs El Calafate at 9:45 AM and arrives in Trelew at 17:12 (5:12 PM).
For travelers with a bit more time and wanting to really dive deep into the heart of the Patagonian landscapes, there are two bus options:
- The fastest: Take a bus from El Calafate to Rio Gallegos (a bus leaves every 4 hours). The trip is 4 hours long. Then, transfer in Rio Gallegos to a bus to Puerto Madryn. Buses to Puerto Madryn leave 4 times a day. The ride is 17 hours and 30 mins.
- Take a bus El Calafate to Luis Pedra Buena. There is only one bus a day. The trip is 30 hours and 15 mins. Then transfer to a bus to Puerto Madryn. There are two buses daily. The trip is 14 hours and 45 mins.
Want to plan your next Patagonian escape? Check out the following adventures:
- 7-Day Peninsula Valdes Sea Kayaking
- 6-Day Los Glaciares National Park and Mount Fitz Roy
- 4-Day Peninsula Valdes and Punta Norte
- 4-Day Los Glaciares National Park: Perito Moreno and Upsala Glaciers
Don’t see what you want? Contact us – we can happily customize a personalized trip for you!
Your friendly Patagonia expert,